Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Thing My Mom Never Told Me

We recently started potty training our youngest child (Grace the two year-old) and it is going quite well. She goes into the bathroom to use the toilet and privacy is a huge issue with her. The door must be shut and we must not interrupt her while she is doing her business (which is usually unrolling all the toilet paper and singing to herself). If we happen to check in on her all Hell breaks loss and it is the beginning of the apocalypse in our household. This got me thinking, how is it that everyone else in my home can use the toilet undisturbed and I cannot. Since when did my privacy in the bathroom become a privilege that I only get during nap-time or the middle of the night when nature so rudely wakes me from my sleep (and at the point I am too tired to enjoy the privacy anyway). I cannot honestly remember the last time I was able to go to the bathroom in my house without the kids asking questions through the door or having to break up fights while I am sitting on the porcelain goddess. I know what you are thinking, "Why don't you just lock the door" right? I tried that and Grace just sits outside the door crying because she cannot come in. I have resorted to just disgusting my entire family and not even bothering to close the door. This leads my to my second question, how come my husband gets to poop in peace? He is in and out of the bathroom three to four times a day taking his book and spending hours on end doing God knows what in there (I really don't want to know what he is doing in there - I personally don't get the fascination with smelling your body waste while you read a book). However, I have really come to resent that fact that nobody bothers him while he is on his throne and he feels he is entitled to such things. Why don't the kids start beating each other up or why doesn't Grace go in there and ask him a million questions like "what are you doing? Are you pooping?" "Let me brush your hair mommy," "Can I sit on your lap." Lisa (the other group home director) says she goes to work just to use the restroom by herself. Why did my mother never tell me it was going to be this way ...... Would love to hear if anyone else has the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment